Microsoft has finally rolled out the Windows 10 October 2018 update version 1809 and the new update comes with a number of features like Swiftkey keyboard and a better screenshot tool. Although Microsoft will be rolling out updates to all PC’s, it may take some time for you to get the update.
If you don’t want to wait for the Windows 10 October 2018 update to come to your PC/laptop you can update it manually by following the steps mentioned below.
Here’s The Easiest Way You Can Get The Windows 10 October 2018 Update
According to Microsoft, you can get the Windows 10 October 2018 update by clicking on Settings>Updates & Security> Windows Update> Check For Updates. This steps should begin the October 2018 update download. But make sure you’re using an original and serviced version of Windows 10.
It is possible that you may see the message “Your device is up to date.” In this case, it means your computer isn’t supposed to start the update right away. It may take time for your computer to get the update as Microsoft is using machine learning to see if computers are ready for the update.
If you want to manually install the updates follow the instructions below:
Downloading the update
Licensed Windows 10 users can manually download the Windows 10 October 2018 update by using these tools. Read on for instructions:
- Go to the official site of Windows and click on the ‘Update Now’ button under the ‘Download Windows 10’ banner.
- Go to your downloads folder in your PC and look for Windows10Upgrade.exe and click on it. After the program is launched click on ‘Update Now’ button.
- A tool will check if your computer is compatible with the update and if it is, the download will begin automatically.
- Once the update is ready to be launched, click on the ‘Restart now’ button to start it. It will take some time for the update to finish but it is unlikely that your files and settings will be modified or deleted.
Note:Windows has pulled out the new date after reports of it deleting files in bulk. Microsoft has advised customers to wait for the download to arrive at their PC and not proceed with manual update.
Get the update before the rollout begins
Since the October 2018 Windows 10 update is no longer available, you can join the Windows Insider Program.
If you still want the October 2018 and can’t wait for the download to be released later, you can join Microsoft’s beta-testing program. The program is meant for testing early or beta versions or builds of Windows 10. This program is popularly known as the Windows Insider Program.
Microsoft hasn’t confirmed that the Windows 10 October 2018 update is available on the Insider program. But, there’s a version available on the program’s Slow ring which should be the same except a few last-minute changes.
But, keep in mind that being a member of the Microsoft’s Windows Insider program has a disadvantage. Microsoft will force early application and driver updates on your device. This can lead to more instability and bugs than using the regular version of Windows. Other than that Windows will also track the way your PC is used.
Here’s how you can become a member of the Insider Program
- In case you don’t have a Microsoft
- Link your copy of Windows 10 to your Microsoft account by going to Settings->Accounts->Info. Then select ‘Sign In with a Microsoft account instead’. Enter your Microsoft account details now.
- To enter the Insider program and receive Insider builds, click on settings, then on Update & Security. Then the Windows Insider Program and finally on Get Started.
- Link your Microsoft account by clicking on the +sign next to ‘link an account’ and then click on continue.
- Click on the ‘confirm’ button under the ‘Let’s be clear’ banner.
- Click on the ‘Restart Now’ button.
- After your system has restarted, click on settings->Update & Security-> Windows Insider Program
- Select ‘The Next Version Of Windows’ option from the option ‘What Kind Of Content Would You Like To Receive’. Then from the option ‘What Pace Do You Want New Builds’ select slow from the drop down menu.